Sunday, December 16, 2007

Camera Cases and Handcuff Holders



In 2001 during a vacation up to Canada, I got a small pouch for my camera. That pouch lived every day on my belt for the next six years. I put it through a lot of abuse. It served me well. Sadly, it died earlier this year. I spent a great deal of time looking for a replacement, and finally found the manufacturer of the old pouch; Calde Ridge. I couldn't find the same container on their website, and so contacted their costumer service department.

It turns out that they didn't make the pouch I had (which was designed as a handcuff holder ). But they made two custom pouches, and sent them to me for free! Across international borders no less.

I have never, ever, had a better interaction with a company. Ever. I will copy some of our exchange below. (With some small changes for readability and a little added emphasis.)

Me:[regarding my old holder]

The durability has been exceptional. The only real damage it's had was when I got to close to a forge I was doing some blacksmithing in, which meted part of it. And the band on top of the pocket came loose a while back, but a few mini safety pins took care of that. Up until the fabric started unraveling recently, that is.


Calde Ridge:

I'm making you a couple pouches right now as I type
this email..... one should be the same as you already
have so now you can call it a custom job...
The other is a product we make now and then but this
is the first one made with the 1000 deni foam
laminated backing in this size of pouch...
I hope you continue to use and abuse the gear we make
and it can stand up to your expectations.
There is no charge $$$ the items should arrive in a
week or so, shipping it by mail today.
Let me know when it arrives please .......


I highly recommend Calde Ridge and their products. They make long lasting, high quality gear. And their prices are good to boot. (even when you have to pay for their products.)

After I received these e-mails, the only way I could sign my reply thanking them was:
"--A *very* satisfied customer." If you are in the Abbotsford, BC (Canada) area, do yourself a favor and stop in at Calde Ridge. Tell them that C.W. sent you, and that I said, "Thanks again."

Now that I've had my new pouch for almost six months, I can say it's holding up just as well as the old one, and looks nearly as good as new. As I write this, the pouch rests on my belt, shiny and black, and it hasn't even been cleaned.

I'll add pictures to this post of old and new within the next few days.

Just in case someone thinks I got paid to say the above, they are wrong. (But I did get two free cases.) I have no connection with Calde Ridge except as a costumer, excluding the above, which was offered to me with no strings attached.