Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Red Eye Freeze

I spent the night at my Grandma's house last night. I stayed up too late, again. TVs really are insidious devices. This time it was the fault of "Star Trek Enterprise" and JustOneMore-itus.

So there I was this morning, dragging myself out of bed at 06.00 hours {6am} red eyed and yawning my head off. I don't normally have trouble getting up in the morning, but when you add a late night on top of a two strikes weekend, it adds up.

On the few occasions that I've tried coffee I have been highly disappointed. The stuff smells great, but it's just so bitter. I decided that if I was going to be operating a motor vehicle it would be best to do it while awake. (I know I've read somewhere that those who sleep while driving have a higher death rate than those who drive while awake.)

My grandma has instant coffee at her house, but it's been just as bad as the regular beverage. I decided to try an experiment. I mixed ice cream, banana a few shots of cream (which my Grandma got from "Jack-In-The-Box" last time she was there, for my breakfast. She only drinks non-fat milk. Ugg.) and a super strong shot of coffee.

I could barely taste the coffee. Perfect! It made a good breakfast all by it's self too. I'm happy to be able to inform you that I made it to work in one piece this morning. Thank the LORD for caffeine.

Here's what I did, in detail.

  • Ingredients


  • 1 cup ice cream (I used spumoni, but pure chocolate would have been better)

  • 3 creams from J.I.T.B.

  • 3 Tbl. milk (I used non-fat but would prefer whole.)

  • 1 Tbl. instant coffee

  • 1 ripe banana

  • Directions


  • Nuke (er, heat) milk in microwave for 20 seconds. Add instant coffee and mix well. Place in freezer.

  • Smash banana to a chunky pulp.

  • Place ice cream and banana in cup. Mix well. Use creams to aid the mixing process.

  • Add the coffee. Mix more.

  • I didn't have time, but if you put it in the freezer for a few minutes (maybe 1-3), I think it would enhance it.

No comments: