Saturday, December 30, 2006

Eragon the Movie

Where to start?

I must begun by telling you how much I've enjoyed the books. From the moment my sister pulled "Eldest" out of her bag on the way home from the airport, after her return from Georgia (where she'd been visiting friends) I've liked the books. She, being an older sister, would not, of course, let me touch the book. But by the time we arrived at "Costco" I did have the title. From there, armed also with the author's name (Christopher Paolini) the library was the only place to go.

I don't think I put "Eargon" down three times once I opened it. It's a really spiffing story. I'll not say it was perfect, because it wasn't, but it was fantastic. When "Eldest" arrived at the library, it was also devoured. I have even bought one of them. (It's not that I don't like books. Not at all. It's just parting with my money that I hate.)

Now, back to the movie.

"Eragon" the movie was, and I mean every word: Pathetic, pitiful, poor, wretched, ridiculous, lacking, lame, boring-- Seeing as I'm writing on my lunch break, I don't have my thesaurus handy, which is truly a shame because after watching the movie I discovered some lovely new synonyms that were highly descriptive and appropriate --hallow, butchered, miserable, pitiable, Well, you get the idea.

Point is, I'm glad that I saw a neighbor's DVD (yes, I know it's not out yet, but his uncle has connections) because now that I've seen it, I wouldn't spend a dime to see it again. Thanks to those of you who warned me off!

The whole movie was dark and boring. Most of the dialog had been cut. It was just highly disappointing. Even those who have never read the book thought it was bad. Basically the best way I've come up with to describe it is this: Have you ever seen a movie that was based on a comic book? You know, the type where someone or something is very important, and everyone is fighting over it, but it feels like, well, a comic? ("Electra" comes to mind, though I don't think I even bothered to watch the whole thing when I ran into it.) That's the type of movie "Eragon" is.

Sad. Very Sad. Waste of an hour-and-a-half.

No comments: